Monday, October 29, 2007
Making a garden gnome costume is proving to be a bit more challenging than I thought it might be. I thought that I knew exactly what one looked like (you know like on the commercials!!), but a bit of Internet research proved me wrong. My mom gave me several large pieces of felt, so I made a blazer type jacket out of some green felt and was getting ready to cut a lapel like collar and add some buttons when I thought that I better look at a picture of one to make sure I was putting the buttons in the right spots. I'm glad that I did since they don't wear a blazer jacket at all...it's more like a tunic with a belt. So I guess that it's a really good thing that I looked...less work for me to do...now I just have to make sure the neck line hits him in a good place and cut it out. Felt is so wonderful...it doesn't fray so you don't have to hem anything!! haha I'm a bit of a lazy sewer. I have some red ribbon that will be perfect for the belt. I finished the pointy hat last night...made it out of a file folder and then hot glued blue felt to it. The only things left are finishing the collar, maybe putting some buttons on the front, making the belt and adding the fun fur beard to the elastic chin strap...and we will be good to go!! I hope it turns out as cute as I think that it will.