Monday, April 16, 2007

I guess I do things the hard way

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this updated...busy week!!

Last Tuesday I went in for my ultrasound to see why I was measuring so big...big surprise I am carrying a budda baby. The technician told us that he is measuring at 7 lbs, 2 oz at 34 weeks and this could be off by a pound either way--8 pounds at 34 weeks...that would hurt a bit. But even if he is only 6 lbs, 2 oz, he is still bigger than Natalie was at 36.5 weeks!! This blows my mind. No wonder my belly hurts so bad some days!! We had a friend just go through a similiar situation where the baby was measuring really big--they were figuring at least 10 lbs--and they did a c-section and he came out 7 lbs, 6 oz, so I was really curious to see what Dr Frank said about the ultrasound. Friday I had my normal OB appointment and all Dr Frank could say is, "what are you feeding this kid? I can't believe how big he is. You just have to do things the hard way, don't you?!?" Ok, so if my OB thinks that he is big, than he must be big! He felt for his position and he hasn't even started to drop--his head is at my belly button--and said that we should be thinking about a c-section. I asked him if he would make me go until the 20th--my due date--and he said "no way...we don't want a 15 lb baby!" He said that if he had to bet his life on it, he would be doing a c-section at the beginning of May...that's 3 weeks from now--wow! He wants to do another ultrasound at 37 weeks to see how we are doing. I guess we will have to wait and see. I am starting to get more used to the idea of having a c-section. I don't think that they are wrong or have any problems with women who have them, I used wanted to have at least one more baby "normally". I think the main thing I have a problem with is that around here, once you have a c-section, all of the rest of your birthing decisions are made for you. Natalie's birth was hard for me--she was induced, came out breech, and was super emotional. I wanted to have one more normal birth so that I could see what it was really like, I guess. But as one of my friends pointed out, if I have to have c-sections from now on, that is one thing that was even more special about Natalie's life. The more and more information I find out about c-sections--especially planned ones--the more and more ok I feel about them. I guess we will see what the Lord has in store for us. I just can't wait to meet him!!!

No comments: