Saturday, November 17, 2007

Happy (Late) Veteran's Day

I know, I know...Veteran's Day was last Sunday, but I just haven't gotten around to what I wanted to do for the post until today. So here it goes...

Happy Veteran's Day. It wasn't until the 9-11 catastrophe and when the US went into the 2nd Iraqi War that the gravity of joining the military and serving our country was impressed upon me. Maybe it was seeing several people I went to church with go off to Iraq or Afghanistan, maybe it was hearing every few days about another soldier losing his life so we can be safe back here, maybe it was hearing veterans young and old tell their stories...I don't really know. But I found myself getting a little misty-eyed at church last Sunday while watching pictures of Veterans flash across the PowerPoint screen while the military branch songs played. I don't know what else to say to these brave men and women other than "Thank you." You are far more brave than I could ever be. We are indebted to you.

Not too many of my family members have served in the military, but I wanted to make sure that I mentioned those I do know about.
My grandfather served in the Marines during the Korean and Vietnam wars.
My father-in-law was a Green Beret in the Army during the Vietnam war and was also stationed in the Arctic Circle for a time.



I'm certain there are others that I just don't know about. I can't think of appropriate words to convey how special and important I think you are...thank you, thank you, thank you.

No comments: